Monkey Around Playground
Monkey Around Playground at White Park
The playground at White Park was built in 1994 and it’s time to update or replace the playground.
Monkey Around was a community built playground made possible by private donations and man power. Hundreds of people worked on the project. The playground was designed by Leathers; a national playground company that specializes in community built playgrounds. At the time of installation the playground was expected to last 20 years with proper maintenance – we are now in year 26!!
Over the years the Friends of White Park have assisted the Parks and Recreation Department with buying the stain to treat the pressure treated wood and assisted with applying the stain. The department takes care of the regular maintenance needs of the playground (repairing decks, swings, equipment and playground surfacing).
In May, 2015 the Parks and Recreation Department hired Leathers to come back to Concord to conduct an assessment of the playground. The department also asked for a cost estimate to update the current structure. The cost at that time was $145,000 (approx. $200,000 now). Read their full report (PDF) here.
During the FY18 budget process City Council approved a project to update the Monkey Around Playground. The budget was $200,000 with $100,000 coming from private donations.
The Friends of White Park have agreed to work with the department to help advertise the community meetings/conversations scheduled for winter 2019/2020. They have also agreed to raise the matching funds needed for the new playground. Our plan is to have an approved playground concept ready for City Councils review in spring 2020. This will allow fundraising to take place during the winter of 2020/21 with construction projected for summer 2021.
1994 vs. 2029 Playgrounds – new options and choices!!!
There are many new and exciting amenities for playgrounds that were not around in 1994. As we review all the new playground options, including the possibility of adding rubber surfacing, the projected cost of the project will need to be reviewed. Playground By Leathers have been chosen to work with the community again and help design the new playground. Please visit their web site to see what is possible!
Please stay tuned for community meetings to begin late spring 2018. For more information please David Gill the Parks and Recreation Director at email@example.com
Timeline for Updating the Monkey Around Playground
* Evening Community Meeting on Dec 12 at 6 pm at the new City Wide Community Center for resdients youth and adults to for input on the new playground. During the morning volunteers from the Friends of White Park, Playground by Leathers and Parks and Recreation Department will visit two elementary schools for design activities with the studentrs,
* Recreation and Parks Advisory Committee Review
February - May 2020
* Confirm cost estimates for the playground.
* Additional public meeting to review concept and cost estimates.
* Recreation and Parks Advisory Committee Approval.
* Planning Board Approval
* City Council review and approval of recommended playground concept.
* If final design and cost estimates have been approved by City Council the Friends of White Park will begin fundraising for new playground
*Updated or new playground is built.