A Capital for New Hampshire is a three volume unpublished manuscript completed by Grace P. Amsden in the 1950s. The manuscript provides an account of important Concord persons and buildings through the middle of the 20th century. The stories related to buildings associated with Count and Countess Rumford, Franklin Pierce, Robert Rogers, Isaac Hill and other Concord notables are interesting and informative, but little known to the present Concord community. The original manuscript, with photographs, is available at the Tuck Library of the New Hampshire Historical Society, and a copy of the text is available in the Concord Room of the Concord Public Library.
History of Concord: The Amsden Manuscript
Photographs from this manuscript can be viewed on the Amsden Photographs Page.
Indexes to the Amsden Manuscript
- General Index A - J (PDF)
- General Index J - Y (PDF)
- The General Index is the easiest and fastest way to search for items in the Amsden Manuscript, " A Capital for New Hampshire." For each alphabetically item listed in the index, a chapter number and page number indicate where the information is located.
- Index of Locations (PDF)
- This index, as the title suggests, references where particular places in Concord are discussed in the Amsden Manuscript. Road and street names, and specific street addresses are listed alphabetically with chapter and page numbers. Photographs are included in this index.
- Introduction and Preface
- Chapter 1 (PDF) The Land of the Pennycooks
- Chapter 2 (PDF) Viewing a Promised Land
- Chapter 3 (PDF) Building a Town in the Wilderness
- Chapter 4 (PDF) "Faith of Our Fathers"
- Chapter 5 (PDF) Pennycook Plantation Becomes the Town of Rumford
- Chapter 6 (PDF) Early Homes in Rumford
- Chapter 7 (PDF) Men of Rumford
- Chapter 8 (PDF) 1746
- Chapter 9 (PDF) Years of Bitter Injustice: The Bow Controversy
- Chapter 10 (PDF) French and Indian Wars - 1754-1762
- Chapter 11 (PDF) Concord in 1766
- Chapter 12 (PDF) Farms Along the Village Street
- Chapter 13 (PDF) Hill Farms Over the River
- Chapter 14 (PDF) Along Contoocook River
- Chapter 15 (PDF) "Upon the Contoocook Road North of Nathan Colbee's"
- Chapter 16 (PDF) The Mills on Turkey River
- Chapter 17 (PDF) "Upon Hopkinton Road...and West of Turkey River"
- Chapter 18 (PDF) Concord Street 1775 and During the Revolution
- Chapter 19 (PDF) Patriots and Tories
- Chapter 20 (PDF) Mast Yard, Horse-Hill and Dagody. School District No.1
- Chapter 21 (PDF) The Town of Concord
- Chapter 22 (PDF) The Town Surveys its Main Street
- Chapter 23 (PDF) "The Fort": East Concord Village
- Chapter 24 (PDF) Old School Districts - No. 4 and No. 5 and Little Pond
- Chapter 25 (PDF) Villages Upon the Boscawen Road
- Chapter 26 (PDF) Destiny
- Chapter 27 (PDF) Concord Street 1809
- Chapter 28 (PDF) A Capital for New Hampshire
- Chapter 29 (PDF) When Concord was a Boating Center
- Chapter 30 (PDF) Prosperous Years, 1810-1820
- Chapter 31 (PDF) Rev. Nathaniel Bouton, D.D.
- Chapter 32 (PDF) Lafayette 1825
- Chapter 33 pt1 (PDF) Concord, 1825-1830
- Chapter 33 pt2 (PDF)
- Chapter 34 (PDF) A Century of Development
- Chapter 35 (PDF) President Andrew Jackson Visits Isaac Hill
- Chapter 36 pt1 (PDF) 1834
- Chapter 36 pt2 (PDF) 1834